To be an unstoppable force in the responsible energy transition, rethinking conventional forms of energy and helping everyone do the same.
To power the world with creative and proven renewable energy solutions.
SunShare started a movement in 2011 with a simple idea: to give anyone with an electricity bill access to solar energy. Over a decade later, we’ve created something even bigger — a new way for utilities and consumers to move from centralized power generation to distributed energy, tap the power of the private sector, and tackle climate change in a cost-effective manner. SunShare is America’s oldest and most experienced community solar company. We develop, own, operate, and subscribe all of our projects, providing our customers and stakeholders an unparalleled experience. We believe making clean energy choices for businesses, institutions, homeowners, and renters should be easy and affordable, and that anyone with an electric bill should have the option to enjoy clean, solar energy. SunShare is a dynamic, fast-paced, and highly driven company, having developed more than 120 MWs of operational solar projects for both large and small utilities. Our unique focus is developing and operating community-based solar projects. Headquartered in Denver, we are committed to hiring and developing the best talent from around the world. All full time SunShare employees are treated as company owners and receive equity ownership in the form of stock options.
The Director of Construction Management will be engaged in a fast-paced and innovative organization with a high performing team. He or she will be responsible for managing the construction process from initial due diligence in the project development stages to pre-construction, design planning, management of engineering, procurement and construction through commissioning and closeout.
The candidate must be an entrepreneurial-minded team player capable of managing multiple projects in their various stages of progress to complete SunShare’s project portfolios. This position requires an individual with a focus on attention to detail and ability to oversee and manage multiple priorities to complete projects on time and budget.
The Director of Construction Management will oversee the entire pre-construction, engineering, procurement, and construction process of projects that SunShare will own and operate across multiple markets:
- Manage pre-construction activities (including providing secondary support to the development team; and evaluating EPC providers, working with legal on negotiating the contracts, and managing their performance), construction activities (including coordination and management of utility interconnection and project onboarding with utility), and managing the team to transition projects to, and manage the O&M/asset management team).
- Work with engineering to maintain standard block design (incorporate and update changes each year).
- Develop best practices / lessons learned – develop and update processes, procedures at each stage. Participate in and provide data in feedback. Look for opportunities (and lead the efforts) to improve efficiencies and quality while driving down cost.
- Cross functional interdisciplinary management between subcontractors (EPCs), Engineer of Record (EOR), suppliers/vendors, and utilities.
- Review and understand county, state, and federal permits and how they pertain to the project.
- Provide projected cost estimates to support development and origination efforts.
- Oversee the process of contract negotiations, including:
- Conducting competitive RFPs for the review and selection of major material equipment suppliers, general contractors, and subcontractors;
- Develop contract exhibits for the construction contracts;
- Evaluate and manage projects to reduce the levelized cost of energy (LCOE); and
- Review and provide input on contracts.
- Plan, direct and coordinate activities for the project site.
- Oversee and coordinate project milestones and ensure contractors, vendors, and sub-contractors adhere to strict guidelines and procedures.
- Manage quality control processes including the site manager and the electrical and civil specialists.
- Manage workflow along with budget to achieve success and hit project deadlines with minimal injuries, violations, recordables, or costly damages to property and equipment.
- Troubleshooting issues relating to installations.
- Manage the reporting of receipt and inspection of equipment and materials.
- Manage and approve invoices and costs incurred under all project contracts.
- Manage scheduling, change orders and cost control of project within the approved budget.
- Communicate with and represent SunShare effectively and professionally with a variety of project partners and stakeholders.
- Lead weekly meetings with contractors and host internal update meetings with leadership teams.
- Attend meetings at the project site as needed and conduct site visit as needed.
- Respond to questions with independent engineers throughout construction and close out any open items to support the project’s achievement of on-time completion.
- Leverage your technical expertise to ensure efficient and effective project delivery.
- Assist in the resolution of design issues and contract enforcement.
- Interface with the interconnecting and local utilities to ensure compliance; be able to coordinate with the utilities to get the project through witness testing and the project to Permission To Operate (PTO).
- Provide guidance and support during all commissioning, start-up testing, and third-party inspections.
- Review and maintain project records.
- Close out the project, including coordinating final service acceptance inspections, punch list close out, and transition the project to Operations and Maintenance (O&M)/Asset Management.
- Conduct lessons learned meetings and provide report to the construction team at the conclusion of the project.
- Contribute to corporate culture in a positive way.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND & WORK EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a relevant technical field required.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a construction project manager or progressing positions in solar and/or storage construction.
- Proven track record in the completion of solar and/or battery storage construction projects.
- Experience providing pre-construction estimates based on solar industry knowledge.
- Demonstrated understanding of plans and specifications for civil and electrical work.
- Experience with developing and negotiating contracts and exhibits.
- Familiarity with managing small utility-scale solar and/or storage construction contracts.
- Understand utility requirements to get the project through witness testing to be able to receive PTO.
- Strong verbal and written communication, organizational, project management, problem-solving and team-building skills.
- Ability to solve problems and make informed decisions quickly.
- Proficient with computers and has strong working knowledge of the following:
- Various email applications, MS Office suite (Excel and Word), MS Project, Smartsheet’s (strongly preferred), and document management systems (e.g., Egnyte)
- Creating and managing schedules using MS Project and other applications
- Adept at the use of Google Earth
- Proficient in the use of Bluebeam
- Experience working with cross-functional internal and external technical advisors and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to work with colleagues in different lines of reporting.
- Ability to lead without close direction or management; capable of performing and anticipating duties outside of the job description and entrepreneurial thinking.
- Ability to multi-task and work in an environment with conflicting priorities with clear target setting and follow-through capability in a fast-paced and rapidly changing work environment.
- Working knowledge of OSHA requirements. OSHA 10 or 30 certification preferred.
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Ability to work outside of a Monday through Friday schedule, including holidays and weekends, at times when needed by the projects
- This position requires periodic travel to project sites in the U.S as well as travel to main office for team meeting as needed
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary Range: $150,000 to $170,000 annually, with an opportunity to get a 20% bonus annually.
- Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Benefits include health/dental/vision insurance, company sponsored disability coverage, company sponsored life insurance coverage, eligibility to participate in 401(k) plan, eligibility to participate in SunShare’s stock option plan, and a generous paid time off policy.
- A complete list of all the benefits offered at SunShare may be provided upon request.